Bloomberg invites applications for the inaugural 2021 Bloomberg Postdoc Research Fellowship, which supports research in artificial intelligence and data science, focusing on the broad areas of natural language processing, information retrieval, machine learning, quantitative finance, and deep learning.
The goal of the Bloomberg Postdoc Research Fellowship is to provide an opportunity for successful applicants to further their research and careers by closely collaborating with Bloomberg researchers and engineers on the applicant’s proposed research agenda. Successful applicants (“Fellows”) will be hired by Bloomberg for a fixed period of time, and the collaboration will focus on scientific publications, open source contributions, and/or other forms of research dissemination. Fellows will have the opportunity to leverage Bloomberg’s unique, large datasets, as well as financial products and services in their research.
We expect successful applicants to be able to showcase a well-established scientific presence, and to independently define, communicate, and execute a clear and coherent research strategy.
Topics of interest include, but are not limited to the following:
Machine Learning, including Deep Learning, Meta-learning and Continual Learning
- Natural Language Processing
- Quantitative Finance
- Human Computation
- Information Retrieval
- Knowledge Graphs
- Recommender Systems
ML/NLP applied to the legal, finance, or journalism domains
- Data Science for Social Good
Postdoc Research Fellowship Details
- Fellowship recipients will:
- work closely with a team of Bloomberg researchers and engineers, with expertise in their proposal area;
- have access to Bloomberg data and computing resources; and
- have the opportunity to collaborate with other Bloomberg researchers, engineers, data scientists, and domain experts.
- The fellowship will cover a collaboration with Bloomberg; recipients will be hired by Bloomberg for a 12-month fixed-term position. The fellowship may be extended annually, up to three years total, by mutual agreement.
- In addition, Bloomberg will provide a stipend for conference travel and other expenses.
Applicant Eligibility Criteria
- Applicants must be graduated doctoral students (Ph.D., M.D., D.Phil., D.Prof., Eng.D., or equivalent), who have obtained or will obtain their doctorate between August 2018 and August 2021, inclusive.
- Recipients must attend an annual event each fall at Bloomberg Headquarters in New York (unless the event takes place online). Bloomberg will bear all expenses for this event.
- Recipients must be able to be hired in a fixed-term position at the Bloomberg offices in either New York or London, and be eligible to work in this capacity.
Applications to the Bloomberg Data Science Ph.D. Fellowship will consist of the following documents:
- Curriculum vitae
- Research proposal
- A research proposal (excluding references) of up to three (3) pages, which contains the proposed work directed at a technical data science audience.
- The research proposal should adhere to the formatting guidelines described in this Overleaf template. Failure to do so will result in the application not being reviewed.
- An optional reference letter from referee(s)
- The applicant will be prompted to provide the referee contact information at application submission time.
- The referee(s) should upload their letters in the system no later than the application deadline.
- The referee(s) should upload their letter to the same system and will be notified of this at application submission time.
- It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure the reference letter(s) are submitted by the application deadline.
- Bloomberg will invite select candidates for interviews to learn more about their backgrounds and research proposals. Successfully completing these interviews is a condition for acceptance.
Incomplete proposals will not be considered.
Please upload your proposal here with all the necessary documents by June 15th, 2021 (11:59 PM AoE). Please note the reference letters should also be submitted prior to this deadline (see above).
We will invite shortlisted candidates for interviews by July 16th, 2021, and aim to announce the award recipients by July 31st, 2021.
If you have questions about the process, you can contact the Bloomberg Postdoc Research Fellowship grant program organizers organizers via e-mail at email@example.com. Due to the volume of submissions, we cannot guarantee that we will provide individual feedback on your proposals.